Sunday Club Rides
Our Sunday Club Rides are social and strictly non-drop, riding at the pace of the slowest rider. We also arrange alternative Tuesday Evening Rides for those seeking a harder effort and fortnightly Women's Rides.
We meet at the Winchester Hotel & Spa car park on Worthy Lane and follow a set route on a rotation basis.
Club Rides 2021
Following the government’s recent announcement on easing lockdown, from 29th March cycling in groups of up to 6 people will be permitted again. For the time being, we will continue to follow the guidance related to COVID-19 track and trace with the following processes in place.
- To conform to the guidance set out by British Cycling, we need to track who is in each group
- For Sunday Club Rides we are using the Sunday Rides Booking Form to track riders. Please ensure you register before 9 pm on the Saturday prior to the ride
- If you have the NHS COVID-19 app, you will be able to check-in on the day using a QR code. This is not necessary if you have already registered using the form above
Covid-19 Ride Management
- We will be organising all three Sunday Club ride groups: Club 14, Club 16 and Club 18
- For each group, there will be one or more groups of up to 6 people, depending on how many people turn up
- All rides will depart at 8:30 am from the Winchester Hotel & Spa car park on Worthy Lane. However, the meeting point for each ride will be separated:
- The Club 18 ride (18 to 20+ mph) will meet on the exit side of the car park
- The Club 16 ride (16 to 17 mph) will meet in the car park on the opposite side from the Hotel
- The Club 14 ride (14 to 15mph) will meet at the normal meeting location, in front of the toilets
- Please arrive at the ride meeting points no earlier than 10 minutes before the start time and maintain social distancing of 2 metres between you and any other rider whilst waiting
- At present we are unable to accommodate guest riders so the rides will only open to VC Venta Club members
- Please do not consider joining the rides if you have COVID-19, have symptoms, or are isolating as a contact, or if someone you live with is shielding, or you are shielding
- Make sure you come equipped with spare tubes, tool, pump etc. to minimise contact with others as these should not be shared
- Once a ride departs we will be unable to pick up additional riders, this ensures that each group is no larger than 6 people
- Please ensure you are at the meeting point before the ride start time, even if you have registered, the ride will not wait for you
Further information about safe riding can be found on the British Cycling website and we recommend that anyone coming along to the VC Venta club rides are familiar with this advice. British Cycling COVID Guidance
Ride Pace & Distance
- Club 14 – Ride average 14-15 mph, around 30-35 miles with a coffee stop either en route or at the end (2.5 hours).
- Club 16 – Ride average 16-17 mph, around 50-55 miles with a stop for coffee en route (3.5 hours).
- Club 18 – Ride average 18-20+ mph, around 55-60 miles with a coffee stop at the end (3 hours).
When meeting at the start location, please group together for correct ride with Club 14 riders to the left, Club 16 riders in the middle and Club 18 riders to the right (outside the car park toilets!).
If any of the rides take the same route out of the city, please allow faster riders to go first to ease the congestion on the roads.
Ride routes follow a rotation programme with a ride leader and sweeper elected on the day, ensuring good riding discipline and that no one is dropped. If the group is larger than 12 people we will need to split and ask for volunteers to lead and sweep each additional group. Please upload the ride route to your GPS in anticipation.
All Club members share responsibility with the ride leader to maintain the agreed pace and coherence of the group, as well as a friendly tone. While it isn’t difficult to act as leader, your life and everyone else’s will be a lot easier (and safer) if all riders are familiar with a few guidelines.
If you are new to the Club, please make yourself known to the leader so that we can ensure you are in the right paced ride and are well looked after.