Sunday Club Rides
Our Sunday Club Rides are social and strictly non-drop, riding at the pace of the slowest rider. We do however ask that anybody joining a club ride is realistic and to choose the appropriate group ride for their own ability. We also arrange Tuesday Evening Rides for those seeking a harder effort and fortnightly Women's Rides.
The Sunday club rides leave from the Winchester Hotel & Spa car park on Worthy Lane at 8.30am all year round.
Club Rides 2023
Group rides follow a scheduled list of routes which are available to download below. We do not currently allocate ride leaders as safe and cohesive group riding is the responsibility of everybody in the group.
More information on which route will be used on a weekly basis can be found below!
General Guidance Due To Ongoing Covid Concerns
It is now three years since Covid hit but as the virus keeps mutating, please continue to follow the below guidance if you have any symptoms.
- Please do not consider joining the rides if you have COVID-19, are currently experiencing any symptoms, or are isolating as a contact.
- Make sure you come equipped with spare tubes, tool, pump etc. to minimise contact with others as these should not be shared
- We welcome guests to join us on our club rides. Please make yourself known to the ride leader upon arrival at the meeting point.
Ride Pace & Distance
Ride pace for each group is an approximation only and may vary dependent upon things such as elevation gain, weather conditions and group size.
- Social Group – Ride average 14-17 mph, around 30-35 miles with a coffee stop either en route or at the end (2.5 hours)
- Base Group – Ride average 16-19 mph, around 50-55 miles with a stop for coffee en route (3.5 hours).
- Training Group – Ride average 18-21+ mph, around 55-60 miles usually with a coffee stop at the end (3.5 hours).
If any group is larger than 12 people we will split into multiple groups and will ask for volunteers to lead and sweep each additional group.
If you are new to the Club, please make yourself known to one of the ride leaders so they can ensure you are in the right paced ride and are well looked after.
It is the responsibility of all participating riders to look after each other and to maintain the agreed pace and coherence of the group.
Make sure you frequently look back behind you to ensure the group is still together, especially if you are on the front of the group.
Whether joining the social, base or training group ride, please remember all VC Venta Sunday rides are club rides, it is not a race! The purpose of the Sunday ride is to ensure everyone gets to enjoy riding as a group around the beautiful Winchester countryside.
We welcome guests to join us on our club rides. Please make yourself known to the ride leader upon arrival at the meeting point.
Make sure you come equipped with spare tubes, pump and basic tools etc so you are able to fix punctures and minor issues at the side of the road
Please do not consider joining the ride if you are feeling unwell or are experiencing symptoms of Cold, Flu or COVID-19 etc
Further information about safe riding can be found on the British Cycling website and we recommend that anyone coming along to the VC Venta club rides are familiar with this advice.